UPDATES 3.19.20 The CDC has updated reported on COVID-19. It is only airborne within respiratory droplets (i.e. from people coughing or sneezing).
I currently have a lot of friends and family concerned about how to stay safe during this new viral infection. A lot of people have asked me how I prepare for situations such as this knowing that I have a degree in the environment and ecology so I compiled this guide. I have to use natural products as I am autoimmune, so these products will help boost your immune system especially if you are sensitive to conventional products like I am. People are concerned for good reason too, as the years continue the conventional products we have been using for the last nearly 100 years as a society has created “superbugs“. These are viruses, fungi, and bacteria that have evolved to withstand conventional cleaning products like alcohol, hand sanitizers, bleach, and cleanings aerosols. These products can actually do more harm than good, especially for those with asthma or autoimmune conditions like myself. Not to mention conventional products like these are suspect for causing many issues, including things like cancer. So I decided to write this short guide about how to stay safe with natural products during this coronavirus outbreak. This has created a novel need for anti-infectious agents that actually work for the long term. Who do we turn to when modern cleaning agents let us down? Strong medicinal aromatic plants. These products I recommend in this preparation guide contain strong medicinal plants and are environmentally friendly and will keep your home clean during this outbreak.
For example in the early 2000s in hospitals across Australia, more hand sanitizing stations were installed in hopes of reducing infections. Some infections did reduce, while other infections increased. Enterococcal infections increased, such as infections of the digestion tract, bladder, heart and other areas of the body. These findings heavily outline that there is more to understand about human immune systems and the use of these conventional products. This trend is reflected globally, not just in Australia.
The good news is there is accumulating evidence of the beneficial effects of medicinal plants and their aromatic essential oils for treating viral infections. Various viruses, human pathogens including the herpes simplex virus and influenza have been found to be very susceptible to the inhibitory action of essential oils.
Essential oils, derived from aromatic medicinal plants (such as fennel, peppermint, and thyme for this example) have been reported to work actively against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, as well as against yeasts, fungi, including various viruses as per this study. Essential oils can protect you and your family against a variety of unhealthy infections, conditions, and diseases.
Virus known as SARS-CoV-2 causes COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak
This viral outbreak has people concerned, and it is good to keep things as clean and as safe as possible. I will do my best to include studies and information so that people can make their own educated choices with how to deal with the coronavirus as well as the consultation of their doctor and the CDC. This article I will focus on how I clean and prepare my house for similar illnesses. The protocol I do for coronavirus is actually not a lot different than the protocol I use to stay safe from toxic black mold, which I am incredibly sensitive to. I am happy to be able to write my lived experience so others can stay safe and think carefully about keeping their own home clean.
Coronavirus Table of Contents
- What is a virus and how does it spread?
- A virus is not a living organism.
- Person to person contact can someone spread the virus without being sick?
- Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects
- how easily does the virus spread?
- Symptoms of the Coronavirus
- Antiviral Remedies and Natural Preparations
- Whole Foods
- Supplements for Immune System
- Essential Oils
- Air Purifiers
- Why are alcohols, hand sanitizers, and Aerosol sprays harmful?
May 28th Coronavirus update:
Watch more to learn how coronavirus spreads outdoors vs. indoors and how taking the right precautions can lower your risk levels.
CDC: What is a Virus and how does it spread?
A Virus is NOT a living organism.
Our current understanding of viruses is that they are not alive. A Virus uses a living host to replicate its own DNA and therefore spread. It does not use energy as a living orgasm does or has the evolutionary traits of a living orgasm, so much evidence points to exclude viruses from the tree of life as this study mentions. Viruses also have simple DNA, as they are able to “steal” your DNA to use for their own processes.
Viruses have unclear evolutionary histories, as they are a polyphyletic lineage. Viruses are not included in the tree of life, but it should be noted that they greatly impact the evolution of populations of organisms and their biodiversity.
How does the CoronaVirus Spread? Since viruses are not alive, they need a host to be able to replicate. The transmission mode of the virus does depend on the type of virus. We will focus on how Coronavirus spreads in this article.
Person to Person Contact
- It is thought to spread by being in close contact (within 6 ft of someone infected)
- Through fluids such as respiratory droplets from coughing and sneezing (someone unaffected can inhale these droplets and become infected)
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
- People are generally thought to be the most contagious when showing the most symptoms (the sickest).
- The coronavirus is still being studied but it appears that it can spread even without symptoms being shown. There have been reports of this occurring, but this is not a typical way a virus spreads.
Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects
- It may be possible for someone to get COVID-19 from touching infected surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes.
How easily does the virus spread?
- The COVID-19 virus spreads easily, and has a community spread.
- Someone can be asymptomatic for up to 24 days and still spread the illness. This is why social distancing is vital at this time!
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
- Muscle pain
- Fever and tiredness
- The virus starts with fever, followed by dry cough, then after weakness, shallow breathing, shortness of breath.
Antiviral Remedies and Natural Preparations
These are safe foods for reducing inflammation and the risk of contaminated foods. I use this food guideline for my family to keep our immune systems as healthy as possible. This guide is actually for toxic mold, but I am sure that this can benefit many in keeping a strong immune system to respond well to this virus. Be sure to fully cook your meat and eggs before consumption during this pandemic. Supplements and probiotics are going to do a lot for your immune system over time, but consider this a lifestyle transition as it will take time to get the benefits of living healthier. This overall will make your immune system stronger and you less likely to catch illnesses.
Elderberry has always helped me keep from getting sick while others around me were, or get over a cold. Using strong herbal teas has a ton of benefits for your health and immune system, so below I listed some of my favorite teas. Cleaning and keeping a clean home environment will be vital to keeping your family healthy. I recommend some environmentally friendly and anti-viral cleaning supplies below as well as some immune-boosting foods and supplements. Probiotics keep a healthy gut which increases your overall immune system health.
Seafood & Fish
- NO SHELLFISH
- Alaskan Wild Caught Salmon
- Sea Bass
- Green Apple (1 per day)
- Collard Greens
- Swiss Chard
- Turnip Greens
- Boston Lettuce
- Red and Green Cabbage
- Bok Choy
- Brussel Sprouts
- Nightshades (avoid if you have gut inflammation)
- Red and Orange Pepper
- Tomato (uncooked)
- Nightshades (avoid if you have gut inflammation)
Herbs & Spices
- Organic Garlic
- Fresh or Ground Organic Turmeric
- Fresh or Ground Organic Ginger
- avoid if you have gut inflammation
- avoid if you have gut inflammation
- Organic Cayenne Pepper
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Organic Ceylon Cinnamon
- Organic Cloves
- Licorice Root
- Vanilla (100% pure only, no alcohol)
Immune Boosting Teas
UPDATES 3.21.20 I will be updating this section with some questions I have received, stay tuned for more!!
Cleaning your home daily and airing out your home with fresh air by opening windows is important to keeping your home healthy. Remember to wipe surfaces, door handles, and other frequently touched areas with anti-viral cleaning solutions like the ones shown below my “Anti-Viral Cleaning Spray Recipe“. I also try to wipe down, spray and clean anything that comes into my house from being in public. I do this because of toxic black mold and the spores it leaves behind, but since the coronavirus is only airborne via respiratory droplets it would also make sense to do so for this viral outbreak. I spray my items down before I bring them in my home and it makes a noticeable difference in my quality of life as a person with an autoimmune condition.
I also wash my cloths after the first wear of being in public with essential oil based laundry detergents. Dr. Bronners also makes a great laundry soap, be sure to dilute it appropriately. I think this protocol can help anyone avoiding the viral outbreak or unwanted bacteria and fungi.
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Baking Soda – Makes a great cleaning scrub when mixed with soap or vinegar spray solution. I scrub my vegetables in baking soda to clean it and give my food a better fresher taste.
- Anti-Viral Cleaning Spray Recipe
- In order to reduce the spread of bacteria and viruses, dilute 1 tablespoon of baking soda into a 32-ounce spray bottle with distilled white vinegar, and add 3 drops of each of the following essential oils (see my list of anti-viral essential oils) to create a potent antiviral cleaning solution and air freshening spray that also neutralizes the air of many toxins, bacteria, and viruses.
Anti-Viral Essential Oils
Essential oils can help keep you clean and virus free.
Peppermint oil reduces the replication speed of common viruses and has been used for decades to treat the common cold and flu.
Bergamot Oil (as a vapor for steam baths)
Eucalyptus Oil (as a vapor for steam baths)
How to Use essential oils for Health Benefits - Respiratory & Skin
The coronavirus affects the respiratory tract very heavily, so I have included how use essential oils for skin and respiratory health benefits in this article. Administering essential oils to help your respiratory tract heal or stay healthy will be vital for keeping coronavirus at bay. Always use therapeutic grade essential oils for desired health benefits.
- respiratory viruses, and bacterial infections.
- Bergamot oil, tea tree and eucalyptus oil are great for steam baths.
- I generally shower until I am clean, then I fill a bath with magnesium salts, olive oil and essential oils. I recommend 10-20 drops of essential oil depending on your desired strength in the bath. The olive oil really moisturizes my skin and the essential oils will treat your skin and respiratory tract.
- applied by injunction on chest for respiratory health.
- you can dilute your favorite essential oils with coconut oil and avacado oil to apply to your chest. Tea tree, eucalyptus or peppermint would work great.
- You can mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 drop of tea tree oil for a quick and effective antiviral and antibacterial mouth wash! Never ever ingest tea tree oil, this is only meant as a mouth wash.
Why are alcohols, hand sanitizers, and Aerosol sprays harmful?
Alcohol, hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial soap, and aerosol sprays all can impact breathing conditions and are harmful to people and animals.
I will cover some important highlights from this study including that the conventional use of alcohol, hand sanitizers, and aerosols has created “superbugs”.
“The abundant use of anti-infective agents resulted in the emergence of drug-resistant bacteria, fungi, and viruses… Essential Oils derived from aromatic medicinal plants have been reported to exhibit exceptionally good antimicrobial effects against bacteria, yeasts, filamentous fungi, and viruses.”
Using essential oils and other strong plant based cleaners greatly reduces the risk of creating super bugs that can. Medicinal plants that have been used in traditional medicine to treat infectious diseases have an abundant source of secondary metabolites. Essential oils, derived from aromatic medicinal plants (e.g. fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), peppermint (Mentha piperita), thyme (Thymus vulgaris)), have been reported to be active against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria as well as against yeasts, fungi, and viruses.
CDC Coronavirus 2019 Outbreak
CDC Coronavirus Infections Prevention and Control Recommendations
Essential oils of aromatic plants with antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and cytotoxic properties
Superbugs Now Also Becoming Resistant to Alcohol Disinfectants
NPR Some Bacteria are Becoming More Tolerant of Hand Sanitizers
Ten reasons to exclude viruses from the tree of life
CDC Report on Coronavirus: How does Coronavirus Spread
Inactivation of Airborne Influenza Virus by Tea Tree and Eucalyptus Oils